The YN 50mm f/1.8 DA DSM II for Sony is an improved version of Yongnuo’s acclaimed “fifty” for photo-video developers. In this iteration, the lens has received such improvements as a hydrophobic coating to protect against dirt, a new housing finish, the addition of low-dispersion glass to the optical system, and new algorithms controlling the DSM motor. All of this contributes to even greater user comfort and improved photo quality. The ability to update the software (USB-C port) and the solid combination of a metal bayonet and gold-plated contacts are a guarantee of reliable communication with the camera. It’s a multi-purpose lens that will be appreciated by photographers and video makers alike.
Main Product Features
- Multi-purpose 50mm lens compatible with Sony E mount
- a great choice for both photographers and video makers
- perfect for portraits, night photography, interior photography, landscapes and street photography
- hydrophobic coating to protect the lens from dirt
- spatterned case finish – more secure grip and fingerprint resistance
- improved DSM motor control algorithms – quieter operation and greater precision
- advanced optical design using low dispersion glass
- weighs just 134g
- impressive brightness thanks to f/1.8 aperture
- perfect performance to take pictures in low light
- 49mm diameter thread for convenient mounting of filters or sunshades
- solid metal bayonet and gold-plated contacts
- possibility to update software via USB-C interface
Improved optical design
The optical design of the lens consists of 8 elements arranged in 7 groups. The lenses are multi-coated to minimize the risk of flares and blips, while improving light transmission. New to the Yongnuo YN 50mm f/1.8 DA DSM II is a special low dispersion glass that allows even better control of light dispersion, resulting in clear, detailed images – from the center to the very edges of the frame.
Higher dirt protection
The refreshed version of the Yongnuo YN 50mm f/1.8 DA DSM II lens brings with it a number of significant improvements. One of them is the use of a hydrophobic coating resistant to water or oily substances. Such a solution effectively reduces the deposition of dust and stains on the lens. Also new is the use of a new finish on the barrel itself. The texture of the housing makes the lens not only better in the hand, but also more resistant to fingerprints.
The Yongnuo YN 50mm f/1.8 DA DSM II lens features a DSM precision stepper motor. It is responsible for instant focusing, wherever you don’t have time to do it manually. The algorithms controlling the DSM module have also been optimized in the new version of the lens. It now works even faster, while keeping noise levels low. This means that the lens is ready to meet the challenges in both photography and filming.
The high brightness (f/1.8) offered by the Yongnuo YN 50 mm f/1.8 DA DSM II lens allows you to achieve the effect of a beautiful background blur and increases the possibilities of shooting in low-light conditions. The lens will be great for portraits, taking night shots, when shooting interiors and landscapes, as well as for street photography. The classic “fifty” will give you flexibility and the ability to create exceptional frames in a wide variety of conditions.
The aperture of the Yongnuo YN 50 mm f/1.8 DA DSM II lens consists of 7 appropriately shaped leaves. When it is closed, the photographer is able to achieve the effect of well-defined 14-pointed stars, which will appear in the place of light points such as the sun or street lamps.
Reliable communication with the camera
The use of gold-plated contacts and a solid metal bayonet is a guarantee of reliable communication between the lens and the camera. The use of electronic components makes your work much more convenient, whether you are filming or taking pictures. Communication with the camera will allow you to transfer EXIF data, use the function buttons and use autofocus.
The Yongnuo YN 50mm f/1.8 DA DSM II lens is equipped with a USB-C interface, allowing you to update its software conveniently and quickly. The new firmware means even more efficient autofocus operation, as well as compatibility with new camera models. All update files can be downloaded free of charge on the manufacturer’s website
- model: Yongnuo YN 50 mm f/1.8 DA DSM II
- mount: Sony E
- image coverage: APS-C
- focal length: 50 mm
- angle of view: 30.4º
- focusing: autofocus / manual
- autofocus mechanism: DSM stepper motor
- minimum aperture: f/1.8
- maximum aperture: f/16
- number of aperture blades: 7
- optical design: 8 elements / 7 groups
- minimum focusing distance: 45 cm
- resolution scale: 0.14 x
- filter diameter: 49 mm
- dimensions: Ø64 x 58 mm
- weight: 134 g
- Yongnuo YN 50 mm f/1.8 DA DSM II lens for Sony E
- decal for the front of the lens
- decal for the back of the lens